- "You can be anything you want if you dream hard enough!"
- ~King Julien [source]
King Julien XIII is one of the main characters in the Madagascar franchise. He is the main protagonist of All Hail King Julien, the deuteragonist of The Penguins of Madagascar, and a supporting character in the films. He is the King of the Kingdom of Madagascar, ruling the lemur kingdom since his uncle,King Julien XII abdicated in King Me. In the films, King Julien abdicated his throne to join the Zoosters on their way back to New York when they ended up landing in Africa instead. In The Penguins of Madagascar, he is instead the self-proclaimed king of the Central Park Zoo. He enjoys dancing but does not enjoy it when anyone touches his feet because one time someone stepped on his feet. Maurice is his best friend and Clover is his former bodyguard and former Captain of the Ring-tailed Guard. Despite despising Mort because he feels that Mort is annoying (mainly because he loves to touch his feet), Mort is a member of his royal circle and King Julien has been very protective of Mort when he's in mortal danger.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 3.1 King Julien's overall personality
- 3.2 King Julien's personality in All Hail King Julien
- 3.2.1 King Julien's love and caring attitude towards his kingdom, people and friends.
- 3.2.2 Lessons learnt by King Julien in All Hail King Julien which changed his personality.
- 3.3 King Julien's personality in The Penguins of Madagascar
- 4 Romance
- 5 Abilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Followers
King Julien is given a personal bodyguard named Clover, and even though he thinks she can be a bit paranoid in the beginning. However, she slowly becomes less paranoid as the series progress, and King Julien trusts her.
In "King Me," in spite of his usual selfishness, he went to save his people and fought the fossa, even though he knew he could be devoured in seconds. When he was looking for a weapon to defeat the fossa, he stumbled upon a boombox. When it played a song, he couldn't help but dance to the music. He felt in his heart that music, or his dancing, would be his ultimate weapon. He risks his own life to save his people, even when Masikura warns him he will be eaten. He bravely fights off the foosa at their territory with the assistance of the boombox. Since then, the kingdom was finally free of the oppressive rules Uncle King Julien enforced, and at the end of the episode, Julien gives a speech showing his inner loving and kind nature towards his people.
In Enter the Fanaloka, Karl, a fanaloka, wanted to prove he was the most genius animal by defeating Julien, as he has been told that Julien can breathe fire and shoot ice darts from his eyes. However, King Julien doesn't regard him as a foe.
Throughout the episodes, King Julien grew into a better king, as shown when he nearly sacrifices himself to save the kingdom several times, gives the kingdom a hospital, defeats his enemies, and helps defend his kingdom with the help from his royal circle, until the episode "Un-King Me" where he loses his throne to the mountain lemur king, Koto.
In All Hail King Julien: Exiled, he makes his way back home and tries to regain his kingdom from the evil hands of Koto, while facing many challenges on the way, which he wins with the help of his friends and even foes.
In the final season, King Julien tries to improve his kingdom by coming up with exciting new ideas to keep them safe and have fun, especially since he learns Clover will be leaving his kingdom to rule the mountain lemurs (Indri) with Sage in The End is Near. At the last moment of the TV series, Alex is washed to the shore, where the story leads into the first film, Madagascar. The last sentence King Julien says in All Hail King Julien is when he answers Maurice in The End is Here (When they are on the one of the plane's horizontal stabilizers): "But you know what I love about our lives Mo Mo? Something big, and I'm talking huge could be just right around the corner." This foreshadows the great adventures which were yet to unravel. In his eponymous series, King Julien is more intelligent than in previous Madagascar media. However, not by much, he only appears smarter in comparison to his kingdom's citizens, who are too dumb to be left without a king. However, he does shows some wit in the series and is more tactful, clever and witty than his character in the films or other series. King Julien XII was able to rally and unite much of the kingdom and neighboring kingdoms War of the Beasts.
The day Alex and his friends came to Madagascar, King Julien and his subjects were enjoying their party celebrating Clover's wedding when it was invaded by the fossa. When the fossa was scared off by Alex, King Julien and his people were hiding in the trees and saw this scene, thinking Alex and his friends were aliens until they passed his test when he kicked Mort towards them. He thinks them to be giant pansies and he thinks to present himself as the king of the lemurs with the other lemurs appearing from where they were hiding. When Alex asked where the people were, Julien pointed to a skeleton of a man caught in a parachute hanging from a tree. King Julien was immediately impressed with how Alex handled the fossa, not noticing why the Fossa were scared unlike Maurice, and began to conjure up a plan. Maurice is to show characteristics of a reasonable advisor which was shown in AHKJ. He continuously suspects him and goes to the extend and asks Alex about his "big teeth."
Later that night, King Julien had a meeting of the lemurs and other creatures of the jungle in the plane. Julien insisted that if they could make friends with Alex and his friends, the Fossa would be scared away for good. Maurice was skeptical about this plan since he had become suspicious of Alex due to Alex’s predatory nature beginning to show, but King Julien insisted that being king, his ideas were the best, so Maurice reluctantly agreed to this but still held onto his suspicions. Though his plan was a risky one, he did this protect his people from the dreaded foosa. Though he becomes self-obsessed and ignores Maurice's warning, the audience sees that he only wants his peoples' safety and shows qualities of a good leader.
The next morning, King Julien and the lemurs welcome Alex and the gang into their kingdom with open arms. However, during a performance, Alex reverts to primal hunting instincts and bites Marty. Maurice informs them that Alex bit Marty because lions are carnivores and eat meat, particularly steak, which comes from other animals. Realizing that Maurice was right and admitting that his plan failed, King Julien banishes Alex to the predator side of the island with the rest of the Fossa. Alex shows his predatory characteristics and chases Mary. King Julien and Maurice are on a coconut tree and Maurice hits Alex with a coconut. King Julien praises him here.
When the penguins and the chimps arrive on the ship after a brief stay in the Antarctica, they come and decides to help Marty. They fight off the foosa to save Marty. After Alex has shown the foosa how savage he is, he hugs his friends. At this moment, King Julien appears with Maurice and asks Maurice to give him some love and hugs Maurice. Later, they help Alex control his cravings by feeding him sushi, which he actually loves. At this moment, King Julien offers Mort as "Plan B", hoping that Alex would eat Mort. Mort laughs at this moment. As thanks for saving them from the fossa, King Julien gifted Alex the sacred crown used by the kings of the Julien lineage; however, he had already made himself a brand new, bigger, better one, with a gecko named Stevie on it, so as to prevent Alex from returning the original. Despite enjoying Madagascar, Alex, Marty, Melman, Gloria, Phil, and Mason decided to go back to New York on the ship. Unfortunately, Skipper chose not to tell them that the ship is out of fuel, leaving them stranded on the island.
Several months later on Christmas Eve, Julien informs the Zoosters of something called, “The Red Night Goblin”, who every year throws black rocks at the kingdom. Alex manages to strike the goblin and have it crash land on the island. The goblin turns out to really be Santa Claus, who now as amnesia.
While Alex and the gang deliver the gifts (hoping to get back to New York when they finish), Santa celebrates Christmas in Madagascar with the lemurs. Santa makes presents for all of the lemurs out of various resources from the jungle. When King Julien is distraught at his subjects receiving gifts instead of him, he steals all the presents and takes them to the plane. Despite having all the toys, Julien is miserable. Santa comes inside and shows Julien that it is better to give than receive.
The next morning, Santa and Julien are giving presents to all of the lemurs. Just then, the gang crash lands on the island and Santa's memory returns. He then notices that one of the sacks of gifts didn't get delivered and hops into the sleigh to deliver them, using the reserve tank of sparkly stuff. Sadly, he leaves Alex, Marty, Gloria, Melman, the Penguins, and the Chimps stranded back in Madagascar. Despite this, they manage to have a good time celebrating the holidays on the island.
A couple of months or so later, the Penguins repair Julien's plane to help Alex and his friends get back to New York. Julien decides to join the Zoosters and proclaims that while he is in New York, Stevie will take his place as king, leaving the other lemurs speechless.
After leaving Stevie in charge, Julien, along with Maurice and Mort, accompany Alex, Marty, Gloria,Melman and the chimps to New York on the plane re-built by the penguins. (After kicking Mort off the plane.) He is in the first class, ordering constant refreshments, and amusing himself with plane crash videos. As the plane crashes down to Africa after running out of fuel and momentum, Julien takes utter pleasure in the feeling of weightlessness caused by the high-speed descent. By being in First Class, he escapes the crash with a parachute.
Upon arriving in Africa, Julien at first believes they are in New York, and makes himself a new crown, declaring himself king (although nobody pays much attention). He and Maurice have as much fun as possible. When they see Melman feeling depressed about losing Gloria to Moto Moto, they encourage him to go tell Gloria how he truly feels.
The next day, when the reserve watering hole dries up, Julien suggests that they make a sacrifice to 'his good friends, the water Gods' at the volcano to replenish the water. He asks for a volunteer for the sacrifice, and Melman comes forward since he believes he was going to die soon anyway. But after Melman realized he was going to live, he gave up on being a sacrifice, leaving Julien disappointed at his plan's failure. However, Mort arrives soon after, followed by a persistent shark that had been attempting to eat him. The shark then falls into the volcano, and as King Julien comes out of the volcano, he sees the water coming back to the reserve (due, in fact, to a dam constructed by Nana being destroyed by Alex and Zuba), and is convinced of his plan's success. He exclaims that he did it but soon gives the credit to the gods when the volcano roars and spews lava upwards.
When the Penguins and the Chimps leave for Monte Carlo, King Julien, Mort, and Maurice stay in Africa with Alex and the gang to wait for their return.
After spending a year in Africa, King Julien, Mort, and Maurice go with the crew to Europe to get the penguins and the chimps. While the Zoosters get the chimps and the penguins, he is ready to flip the switch for the main power when Maurice gives the signal and Mort holding the clock. He presses it, shutting the power down. When they attract unwanted attention from the public, Chantel DuBois pursues them while Gloria, Melman, Marty, Alex, the penguins, the chimps, and the lemurs go on a high-speed chase in a Luxury Assult Recreational Vehicle (L.A.R.V.). King Julien pops open the door and thinks he's famous and calls them "Paparazzi", gleefully telling them not to take his picture. He is hit with a tranquilizer dart.
The vehicle falls with King Julien while the rest are scared. The exception is Maurice, who looks surprisingly hopeful. However, he lives by the plane lifting the vehicle up (to Maurice's disappointment). When DuBois catches up to them, Julien has Mort distract DuBois while Alex sends her into a pool on top of a building. About a couple hours later, the plane crashes again, but this time, into some railroad tracks. Julien is dizzy from the crash, so Mort and Maurice carry him while he regains consciousness. The gang then finds a circus train. When they won't let them on, they lie that they are circus animals and they let them on the train. Skipper then purchases the circus as a means of getting home.
The next day, Julien meets a circus bear named, "Sonya" and falls in love with her. They go on a romantic tour around Rome, and they go to Vatican City where Julien stands in line to kiss the Pope's ring. When he kisses the ring, he secretly puts it in his mouth and places it on Sonya's finger. When her tricycle is broken on the steps of the Vatican, he buys her a motorcycle instead of the pope's ring because he can't bear to see her unhappy. They go on a fun joyride and decide to do donuts at the Pantheon. When they get back to the circus, they realize that the show flopped. While running from the audience, Julien tells the chimps to throw the money to them, but they accidentally toss it to the audience.
After the show is reinvented, Julien and Sonya perform as an acrobatic duo on Sonya's motorbike in the circus. When the circus arrives in New York and the animals are uncovered, he goes with the Zoosters after a heated breakup with Sonya. The Zoosters and Julien arrive at the zoo, but they realize it's not what they remembered after all. Seeing that they would rather be wild and free in the real world then trapped in a zoo, they decide to go back to the circus. But before they can go back, they are tranquilized by DuBois and her men. Luckily, Julien escapes and gets back to the circus animals in the nick of time, who realize the Zoosters are in danger. That night, they all arrive at the zoo and manage to save Alex and the gang. Julien and Sonya use their motorcycle act to knock out DuBois into a reptile exhibit. In the end, Julien decides to give up being a king to be with Sonya.
King Julien is heard at the beginning still singing "I like to move it move it" with the others.
He physically appears in the mid-credits scene. When the penguins use Mort to change Private back to normal, Julien tries to press the button, but Kowalski prevents him from doing so. After many attempts to push it, Julien presses the button by tricking the penguins and Private is returned to normal. King Julien is disappointed, as he expected "little more pizazz.” Just then, Mort swallows him, which amazes King Julien because that is "pizazz."
Julien appears regularly, often noisily and unintentionally annoying Skipper, "borrowing" things from their neighbors and pretty much everyone. He is the self-proclaimed "King of the Zoo" no doubt due to his former king status on Madagascar. Only Mort and Maurice truly believe and respect him as their king, everyone else just humors him, showing up to his royal decrees.
Julien hates having anyone touch his feet, such as passing a royal decree that anyone who touches his feet would be banished from his kingdom (his habitat). (Episode: Two Feet High and Rising).
When the sewer rats went to the zoo and tricked the Penguins out of their home (Miracle on Ice), Julien decided to play for the Penguins in a game of Hockey to try and win their home back. They were losing until one of the rats touched his feet, after that he lost it and beat all of them on his own.
In the episode Crown Fools, Julien panics when he loses his crown and obsessively longs for it until it is revealed that he had a spare crown all along (prompting Marlene to chase him with a crowbar).
Despite his desire for everyone to listen and do what he wants, he hates and ignores Mort, his most loyal follower, who treats him like a god! Most likely because Mort adores Julien's feet. Mort responds to everything Julien tells him to do as "I like..." followed by whatever Julien said.
In "Haunted Habitat," he mentioned that he had a dream that he was "the last mammal on Earth". Mort was just happy to be in the dream despite that he was "roadkill" in it.
A recurring gag in the series is Julien's behavior and believing in Supernatural Beings, Sky Spirits. This is ironic in that, while the Sky Spirits have shown no actual display of power and therefore could possibly not be real, he did not believe in Darla's 'backward magic' which actually IS real.
It also is shown that Julien gains a super-lemur level of strength if he gets mad visible when in Miracle on Ice, Julien spanked and humiliated the Rat King, after one of his henchmen touched Julien's feet; in "Happy King Julien Day!", Maurice claims holiday.ien violently caned everyone who forgot his self-proclaimed holiday. Despite being a good guy, his stupidity can make him obliouvously act as an antagonist towards the Penguins in some episodes and usually gets his punishment at the end when that happens.
King Julien appears as a stand-up comedian in the web series King Julien Stand Up. After the events of Penguins of Madagascar: The Movie, King Julien has been spitten out by Mort and he now has his web series as a standup comedian.
King Julien is a black, white, and grey ring-tailed lemur. He is unique in the Madagascar films as he is much different than the bunch of ring tailed lemurs in his kingdom because his ears are much pointed, much pointed and thin snout, a slim body, a slim face unlike the others with broad faces and possess an excellent blend of colors. He also has a small face compared to other lemurs in the kingdom and that makes him quite handsome.
However in All Hail King Julien, there are only four such ring tailed lemurs and not seen as an abundant species like in the films: his uncle, Magic Steve, his mother and himself, where Magic Steve is his exact copy (clone) where his friends too are fooled by Steve. However, Steve was swallowed by the Crocodile Ambassador in Body Double.
King Julien is usually is seen wearing different crowns. His crowns are:
- The green and yellow (and with a hint of orange) crown from AHKJ and The first Madagascar film, the crown he bears the most time of his reign in Madagascar, which he got in the beginning of his reign in King Me. (which he gets back in the fourth film:- Penguins of Madagascar: The Movie and in the Penguins Of Madagascar TV Series)
- Orange and green leaf crown with gecko Stevie from the last scene of The first Madagascar film and beginning of Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
- White and red cloth head wear with a box (more like a sultan of Arabian countries) depicted from the middle parts of Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa and Madly Madagascar.
- The purple feathered crown from Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa and Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
King Julien's overall personality
King Julien is the ultimate party animal and is continuously full of himself. This spoiled king likes to order everyone around and he would be completely intolerable if not for his insistence that everyone has fun! King Julien's towering ego more than makes up for his pint-sized body. He's quick with an insult but even quicker with a smile, so it's hard for anyone to take this lemur too seriously. King Julien very much speaks his mind; even it might be rude or mean he gives his honest opinion. He is the most eccentric and colorful character. Sometimes he likes giving others advice (Madagascar 2, Hello, Dollface, Operation: Antarctica), as he believes he has an answer for everything. He also seems to be very inappropriate for Private, depicting that he is only 9 in the series. As Melman said, that he spotted 27 health laws being broken at the party beneath the Central Baobab Tree.
King Julien's personality in All Hail King Julien
In All Hail King Julien, he is portrayed as easily excitable and eccentric, with fantastical and often outlandish ideas. He's easily distracted, and often becomes wholly consumed by an idea or notion. He is also shown to be very self-centered and never takes the blame for his actions. He always blames someone for his fault, mostly Mort or Maurice. However in All Hail King Julien, in The End is Here, he blames himself and takes the responsibility of his fault for forgetting where he buried Sage, though he first blamed Maurice. Such other moments could be seen throughout the episodes which compiled to portray the War of the Beasts.
As the show progresses, he steadily becomes less self centered. While in Season 1 his concerns were more geared towards his peoples' perception of him (as seen in Poll Position and The Really Really Big Lie), but when the series progresses, he's shown to care more about the happiness and safety of his people than himself.
While he still has moments of selfishness and is portrayed as a self-obsessed character, he still proves to be selfless and self sacrificing when it really counts, which crafts King Julien to a great and memorable king of the Kingdom of Madagascar with a great legacy. The character of Julien in All Hail King Julien is much selfless and less autocratic (probably due to the advice he got from his royal entourage), than in TPoM and the movies released. At moments, he becomes extremely selfless and caring, only in All Hail King Julien, to ensure that his people are happy and and his friends safe, no matter how eccentric and weird his ideas and plans are.
A common thread for his outlandish ideas involve finding some new way to keep his people happy. While Uncle King Julien ruled the kingdom with fear, King Julien encourages his people to have as much fun as they can, because who knows if there will be a tomorrow. His schemes and ideas revolve around improving their quality of life, from introducing coffee so they can get their jobs done faster, to creating 'fast food' so his people have more time for fun. He introduces trampolines, water slides, and regular dance parties to the kingdom as enrichment and as a means to distract them from the constant fear of being eaten.
While many of his kingly duties seem to bore him, such as paperwork and the like, he loves having the role of king. On numerous occasions he seems to go above and beyond in his role as king to support his people, from attending their weddings to handing out prizes at graduation ceremonies. He takes a very proactive role in the lives of his people, and he is seen to learn many of their names as the show progresses.
His friendship with Maurice and Clover also proves invaluable for bringing out positive lessons for him, and opportunities to prove himself to be a good friend and King. On many occasions when he's too self focused or proving to be selfish, Maurice and Clover will help to show him how his actions affect others, steering him towards making the right decisions. In the end, he proves that at heart he cares more about the happiness of others than his own ego, and finds happiness in the joy of others.
King Julien's love and caring attitude towards his kingdom, people and friends.
- Even before he was crowned as king, he says to Maurice that he wants to live and not survive, which shows his desire to keep his peeps save. He risks his own life to save the people from the foosa himself, when Masikura had even foretold that he would be eaten. He bravely fights off the foosa at their territory with the assistance of The Boombox. The love to his kingdom is first shown in this episode. This can be even said the place where the Lemur Kingdom was able breathe air with freedom and live without surviving. Even at his coronation, the speech he gives shows the love and care the posses towards his kingdom and his peoples.
- Though King Julien's actions in this episode was costly and created him enemies, he really showed his love to his kingdom. The night before the events of the episode happened, he had partied too much and was probably drunken. That night, he revealed all the things he was hiding and could not control himself since he was probably drunken. King Julien says that he loves his people, he is more than willing to solve problems and his "throne is always open." Though he seemed to act selfish and self-centered in the beginning of the series, he did have the love and caring towards his people in his heart but he did not share his feelings. Since he lost control over himself, he spewed out all his ideas that he was hiding. This shows that he loved his people.
- At the end, he understands that a good king should be able to relate to everyone in the kingdom and the problems are important to that individual. King Julien says that he will try is best to resolve everything he can, even when it takes hard working and tough decision making, which he hates to do. Here, the audience can see how much he loves his kingdom since he is ready to do what he hate to serve his people. He decides to become who listens to his peeps, do what needs doing and a king of action.
- When he finds out Timo and his science, he comes back to his kingdom to provide the electronic devices of Timo to make his people's work much convenient and don't want to wait anymore. Though his plan backfired, he wanted make his peeps' life easier.
- When King Julien finds out the power of coffee or "Brown Julien" after he had drunk a whole jar of it, he thinks to give coffee to his peoples. He thinks that his kingdom will be be unstoppable and will develop, when they pick more fruits and dodge more foosa when they have no sleep and work 24 hours. This shows his strong desire to develop his kingdom and to share his experience and provide the best of everything to his people. This shows his love towards his kingdom, though it was a eccentric idea to be sleepless and was one of Karl's plan to destroy Julien.
- At his wedding, he says that he can't marry Crimson as he has an affair. Then he reveals that his affair is between his kingdom and says to the crowd , "I love you guys" and even thanks for ruining for his wedding. Here, Julien's love towards his kingdom is seen when he say so as he treats his kingdom as a wife and shows selfless motives.
- In the beginning of the episode, it is shown that he had asked Mort to design a poster which he can hang in every citizen's bedroom. It seemed to be a very bad idea since Mort has designed it, where King Julien stares right at the person looking. However, he just wanted his people's happiness.
- When Mort says that it will take 15 years to make enough posters to have in all the rooms of the kingdom, it startles the king. King Julien says that he can't have his sad for so long and if they are sad, he is sad. This shows how much he cares for his people.
- KJ introduces money to his kingdom, thinking that they will be happy, after playing "Gimme Gimme Gimme: The Game". He is determined to his peeps happy shows how much he loves the peeps.
- When Mort is keeping all the money and property of the kingdom (Includes all trees that provide food), he mourns and falls at his knees, pleading to stop this madness. King Julien willingly offers his crown and throne to Mort, and asks him to give back his people's "stuff", "money" and "souls". This even startles Clover and Maurice to see his actions. This makes an emotional scene and they faces of Maurice and Clover shows that King Julien had made a hard decision which could not be done easily. He don't think about his dignity and is even ready to give up his throne for the kingdom's betterment, which shows his great kingly nature. This shows his mild and soft nature and how much his heart melts when he wants good for his kingdom.
- Though a night club is not a good thing for his kingdom, he does it for the good of the kingdom, as he thinks it will give his people entertainment, nutrition, exercise etc.
- However, at the end, he says that he want his legacy to help and not hurt, he will close the club and to built a hospital. His love to the kingdom is seen when he says he wants to help and not to hurt. He always want his peeps happy.
- Though he was poisoned by Crimson, King Julien did not give up his efforts, but decided to take back his kingdom and help them. He did not consider his condition but decided to use the Mega Gecko to help his people.
- In this episode, Julien goes towards the cliff to save his kingdom from being blown out. He don't care of the high levels of risks that he has on his back nor thinks of the risk to his life, but does to save his kingdom and peoples. He selflessly bears a load of risk, for nothing, but for the betterment of the kingdom.
- When King Julien finds that his kingdom and his people have no spirit, he decides to declare a war with a kingdom and he finally chooses butterflies since he thinks they can defeat them. As he expected, declaring war on the butterflies did unite his people, who then possessed lemur pride and ring tail spirit. Though he had no idea about what war is (when Clover says to give orders so she can begin to train the recruits for combat and to face the war, he says that there is no fighting in a war), his prime idea was only to unite his people. So, the audience can see that he only wants to make a better kingdom, though his ideas to do it are eccentric.
- Even though it was a not a good idea, Julien brings in 'Booty Doodles' and replace with the kingdom's other foods, thinking it would benefit his people. He wanted to let his peoples save their time and have a great meal, without waiting as he was. He wants to give his people a great meal in no time. His desperation is seen when his peeps don't take the fast food at first, as he can't understand why his kingdom don't like such delicious food which shows his want to have his people happy.
- Though it was a bad idea to bring scorpions to help to defend the kingdom and ensure all are in safety, King Julien did so the kingdom would be free of crimes and would be a safe place to live. He decided because he thought his jumping bean was stolen and that criminals can strike at anytime.
When King Julien looses his kingdom, he is in doubt whether he deserves his kingdom back since it was his fault which caused it. The audience sees how sensitive and soft King Julien is and great leader he is since he does not blame others - like blaming Maurice for his faults - for the problems he caused to his kingdom. He bears the burden of guilt of what he has done for his people. He, indeed, is a good king.
- King Julien decided to invent Julien Vision so his people can live away from reality. Though his fancy idea caused the whole kingdom to be robbed, his prime aim was to make the people happy by making them hide from the boring and depressing reality.
- When it comes to his knowledge that his kingdom is to sink, he dedicates his leisure time to try to do something that will stop the kingdom sinking. To his dismay, Masikura states that nothing has changed.
- When he is at the plane, the last night before the island sinks, his pain is seen when he asks the kingdom why the kingdom should leave him at such a time, as it is so unfair. Here, he give to his farewell song, which is to be one of the most touching song of AHKJ, Kingdom You Ain't No Lady. He portrays his love to his kingdom.
- After the song, he sees his people trying to steal the boat and he is startled. When Mort stops the brawl by firing a canon, he gives a speech full of moral. He says that they are not animals but lemurs. Julien says that they are miracles and remarks that they are stardust. He even says that all of them matter. His selfless character and bond towards his kingdom is seen when he says, "I thought about saving you guys so much I forgot to save myself. Forgot. I know, right. Cray-cray. And, that's just the kind of kingly legacy I want to leave behind." King Julien is to love his peeps more than his life, where he don't mind of his life when he serves his peeps.
- At the end, when Horst destroys the boat, he gives a farewell speech, where he says it was a privilege to be their king. This shows how much important his kingdom and peeps was to him and his love towards them.
- After reading the encyclopedia of tropical diseases given by Dr. S, he fears that the whole kingdom will get wiped out as his peeps are so "filthy" and each one could be a "patient zero". This shows how much he loves his kingdom and people.
- When Koto surrounds him with his army, he says to Koto that he can take anything he like, but pleads not to hurt anyone in the kingdom. This shows how much he loves his people and wants them saved.
- When Koto asks KJ's final request, he asks for a "dance-off", where if he wins, Koto must let his people go and he would sacrifice willingly and would die anyway, if he looses. He is even ready to sacrifice his life in order to save his kingdom and give his peoples freedom. This shows King Julien's selfless nature when he wants his kingdom to be safe, no matter what happens to him or his life.
- The night before they were to be fed to the snake, he says to Maurice that this is all his fault. Julien, who is to blame others for his faults, blames himself. This shows his great kingly qualities as he regrets for letting his kingdom and people down.
- When Pancho requests Julien to come with him to the submarine, so he could take him, out to safety, he says he can't leave his peoples. This shows Julien's great kingly qualities, who don't want to abandon his peeps and kingdom, which depicts the love he posses towards them. He could have even been killed by Koto if he had waited with his kingdom, but he does not mind such risks. Even when he stares at his kingdom from the submarine, his pain is seen when he whimpers and his pupils widen when he stares at the most precious jewel he lost: The Central Baobab Tree and his kingdom.
All Hail King Julien: Exiled
Throughout this season, Julien works tirelessly with the help of many to give freedom to his kingdom and peeps, by defeating Koto and his evil rule. He does not care about that he will be slain by Koto, but takes such risk, to save his kingdom. His love towards his kingdom is clearly shown when he does such sacrificial actions to save his kingdom and give peace and harmony to his peoples.
- King Julien's pain is seen when he weeps inside the submarine for his kingdom's loss. Though he always blames others for his faults, he excessively blames himself for loosing the kingdom. Here, his love for his kingdom is seen as he takes the responsibility for all the misfortune that piles upon the kingdom and grieves as he as unable to protect his peeps and kingdom.
- When King Julien had the chance to live in Siren island and live a jolly life, he kicks off this opportunity as he says that he need to save his kingdom. His selfless motives are seen as he gives up the time that he could live leisurely to save his kingdom. King Julien understands that his kingdom and his people are more important than his own life. Hence, he decides that he must fight and take back his kingdom, no matter what. This shows how much he loves his kingdom.
- King Julien does not care the risk he bear in confronting Thrax. He decides to fight Thrax with the help of Maurice since it is the last chance to get back to his kingdom to save his people. This shows his determination and courage he posses when he wants to serve his kingdom.
- When Karl blames Julien that he had no fortitude to sacrifice one of his friends to save his kingdom, Julien answers that if someone should sacrifice himself for the kingdom's betterment, it should be him. This portrays his great kingly qualities since he is ready give up his life for his peoples' happiness.
- When his army had retreated and camped beside a waterfall, he thinks to show himself up to Koto so he would let go his people. This shows that he is even ready give up his life to keep his people safe. Further, he blames himself for not been a good king, which his people deserve than a looser like him. He takes all the responsibility for the downfall for his kingdom and shows the qualities of a great king. He then rallies up his army and guides the Kingdom of Madagascar to victory. This shows what a great leader King Julien The 13th is.
- Julien brings out an idea to let his kingdom give their ideas for the kingdom's development. Here, Julien's love towards the kingdom is seen as he loves the kingdom to develop, after all the destruction that happened during Koto's reign. Though his plan backfired, as usually, he always wanted to give peace and harmony to his peeps as he says so to Maurice, after thrown from the plane. This shows his soft and tender affection towards his kingdom. He even decided to act dead so it will unite his people since he will be a martyr.
- King Julien says Maurice to kill him as he is a threat to his kingdom. He does not give up but keeps on urging him to kill him. He is even ready to die for his kingdom, to make his peeps safe, which shows his love and care he posses towards the kingdom. He, is literally, ready to die for his peoples safety.
- When King Julien finds the "Plant Food", he decides to use it, to boost the kingdom's harvest. King Julien wanted to make his kingdom, the most mango rich. Though his plan back fired and made a huge brain eating Mango, his intentions were to develop his kingdom and give a better life to his people. Therefore, it is visible that he is a king, who loves his kingdom and peoples.
- Before he enters to Karl Con, he sets up a plan and puts Maurice in charge of it. He makes poster boards with mirrors on the opposite side, thinking that Karl may use lasers to attack and at the end, he was to be right. This shows how much he thinks about the safety of his kingdom. Unlike his eccentric ideas, he applies his tactful nature for the betterment of his kingdom.
- When Julien finds out the cameras, he installs them all over the kingdom, with the intention to have the safest kingdom and give a crime-free environment to his peoples. This shows how much how loves his kingdom. However, Clover enforces all the laws of King Julien the Terrible's law book and becomes too strict. Ultimately, she arrests the whole kingdom (Including herself), except Ted, Maurice and King Julien.
- When Julien gets to know that Clover will be leaving the kingdom, he gathers the kingdom and says that they must make an army so they will be able to defend themselves without the assistance of Clover. Julien's love towards his peeps is seen as he wants his kingdom to be safe. KJ does not think the loss of his leisure time or his energy, he gives everything for his kingdom to make a tough and strong army to defend his kingdom against attacks and problems that the kingdom will face.
- At his speech, he shows his trust towards his kingdom when he declares that he could never fail until he had his kingdom. King Julien shows how much he trusts his people and knows that his success is always because of his peoples and his friends, not only because of his actions. Julien's love towards his kingdom is seen here.
Lessons learnt by King Julien in All Hail King Julien which changed his personality.
- In King Me, King Julien says to his kingdom that he learnt that if there is no tomorrow, they have to live an "extra big today." Probably, it was this lesson he learnt which crafted King Julien's kingdom from the kingdom of fear to a joyous, happy and smooth-sailing kingdom.
- In Empty is the Head, King Julien confesses that the problems of his people were boring and hard to care. But he says that he understood that a good king should be able to relate to everyone in the kingdom and he realized that the problems are important to that individual and should be resolved though it makes him to do what he hates, hard work and tough decision making.
- In Diapers Are the New Black, he understands that he was wrong and learns that a person is not what he/she wear. But, the true person is what he/she is from the inside. King Julien understands that a person must not be judged by the fashion or clothing they use but from his/her inner qualities.
- In The All Hail King Julien Show, King Julien learns that they cannot hide from reality and reality always finds them, after they were robbed by Pancho and Fairfax.
- In The Neverending Clover, King Julien understands that he always cannot be the hero and the star of everyone's story and understands that it is not bad to be a side kick to help a friend.
- At the court where the Crocodile Ambassador tries to sentence Julien for not following his order, which he got from the "Good Book", Julien voices to his people, asking when they became so uptight and how happily they were living before the Ambassador bossed them around for his personal gains. Julien here learns that they need no such book which was supposed to make them nicer to each, better citizens but finds that the Ambassador uses to divide them. He learns that they don't need approved fonts for thank you notes but what really matters is to remember to appreciate and care about each other. When he states what he understands, the kingdom disagrees, and the Croc Ambassador was about to sentence him his punish. Luckily, Julien's plan worked with the help of Clover. At the end, Julien learns that his people need freedom and decides to give their people a life with no rules, given under the condition that no one hurts others.
- In Iron Ted Weekend, King Julien understands that his kingdom and his people are more important than his own life. Hence, he decides that he must fight and take back his kingdom, no matter what. This lesson probably helped him to be less selfish and more selfless.
- At the end of Squad Goals, King Julien understands and tells to his people that it is not cool to be someone who is not himself or herself and syas that being himself or herself is what is cool.
- In the episode, There Will Be Juice, he learns that fruits doesn't need help but it is they who need to pour chemicals on themselves as the Sky Gods intend. It is understood that he means that it is they who need to be improved.
King Julien's personality in The Penguins of Madagascar
He also fights with the penguins in some episodes in The Penguins of Madagascar. He is the penguins most powerful foe and ally. In some occasions, King Julien's vocabulary and grammar levels are sometimes shown to be even lower. In "Lemur See, Lemur Do", instead of saying "most disappointing" he says "disappointiest". Also, in "Popcorn Panic" he does not know that "succeed" is the opposite of "fail" and says it like "suck seed". Julien also seems to be very sensitive to a rejection of any kind, as seen especially in All King, No Kingdom. In Otter Gone Wild, he was upset at Marlene rejecting him. In Eclipsed, he was horrified at the sky spirits' threat of never bringing the sun back, since he's so loyal to them. He expects appreciation and acceptance from everyone, but when he gets in trouble with the whole zoo, he begs for mercy even when he knows he deserves what he's given.
Because he is extremely conceited, selfish and rather dim-witted, Julien is a terrible king. It seems that he will only let people talk good about him. Julien could even be narcissistic in that way. But it has been referenced twice in the series that deep down, he mainly wants his friends to stay by his side.
- In All King, No Kingdom, after practically banishing Mort and Maurice from the lemur habitat, he soon realizes how lonely he is, and not long after starts talking to stuffed animals because he was not invited to the other two lemur's party, although almost everyone else was (It is unknown if the penguins were on the list or not).
- Another instance is in The Lost Treasure of the Golden Squirrel, where his deepest desires are shown to actually be nothing new, and just having Maurice and Mort by his side worshipping him.
However, after the movie, Julien's dumb personality changed to a more serious personality because of Mort touching his feet or sometimes even worse than happen. For example, in Happy King Julien Day!, Maurice has a flashback about King Julien's personality was changed to aggressive personality. In Miracle on Ice, Julien has become very enraged after the rat accidentally stepped on his feet and plucked at them. In Right Hand Man, when Maurice asking him to make Clemson a right-hand man, Julien became angry and yelled at him.
He wasn't shown having a real love interest in the Madagascar movies until Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted. He instantly becomes smitten with Sonya the Bear, who eats him whole and pulls him out covered in saliva. ("What a woman!"). Something that shocks and disturbs Maurice and Mort.
The two hit it off, causing mischief during the circus's Europe tour. He even willingly gives up his crown to be with her and goes with the rest of the gang on the circus tour.
The Penguins of Madagascar
In The Penguins of Madagascar series, however, King Julien was given many love interests, particularly with Marlene.
- In Kaboom and Kabust, Julien and Rico have a "Blowing Things Up" montage which parodies "Falling In Love" montages - however, Julien was only interested in Rico to cause mischief and explosions; upon learning it's dangerous to blow things up with Rico, he loses interest.
- In Otter Gone Wild, Marlene fell in love with Julien, but Julien didn't appreciate it enough because of her wildness. As soon as they get back to the zoo, Julien accepts her offer, but Marlene no longer has the slightest interest in him.
- In Otter Things Have Happened he was horrified that the penguins made Marlene hook up with Fred and claimed himself as being Marlene's 'secret boyfriend'. He tried to make Fred battle him over her.
- In The Otter Woman Julien flirts with 'Arlene', unaware that she is Marlene. He has no interest in Marlene after her fur is dyed brown again.
- He flirts with Ms. Perky whenever he sees her, making Rico angry.
- In the episode Feline Fervor, Julien flirted with a ferret named Zoe, who had no interest in him.
All Hail King Julien
In King Me, he at first proposes repopulating the kingdom with Clover (as she was the only female lemur present after the other lemurs were taken captive by the fossa), and later on in the episode, he promotes her to Commander of the Ringtail Guard for her bravery, much to her joy.
In Body Double, King Julien misinterprets Clover's inspection of his bottom (looking for his signature bite mark to make sure it was him), as flirting, saying: "Oh Clover, we don't have time for.." before being interrupted by her.
At the end of Crimson and Clover, King Julien mistakes Clover’s sibling rivalry as jealousy, and asks her if she’s sure “that's all it was", when she admits that she shouldn't have “meddled with their [Julien and Crimson’s] relationship”. This may reveal that he wishes she had been jealous, showing he had an interest in her.
In Get Off My Lawn, Julien learned that their was no replacement for the protection Clover gave the kingdom, and apologized to her at the end of the episode.
In Eye of the Clover, Julien finds out Clover wants to compete in a “to-the-death tournament” and refuses to let her go at first because he is afraid of her getting hurt which shows his caring and loving character towards Clover.
In The Neverending Clover, when Clover falls unconscious after an accident in which she saved several seniors’ lives, Julien panics and shrieks: "Clover wake up!” in order to wake her up. This panic from him could be a sign of his feelings towards Clover. His response when Doctor S says that Clover may be killed if she is faced the truth before her mind has healed, also proves his caring nature towards his friends.
In the same episode, Julien's hurt is shown when he sadly says to Clover, "I'm not even important enough to you to be a main character in your story.” He is upset that Clover does not treat him as important as he believes he treats her, and is saddened that he is not of higher importance to her in her life and her stories (possibly because he has feelings for her).
In The End is Here, King Julien says that he loves her and that if he could have had a really violent sister, he would have wanted her.
A more visible romance is seen between Julien and Clover’s twin sister, Crimson. The two first meet when Crimson comes to the kingdom to find Clover. Her fun energy attracts Julien right away, and the two spend time doing risky activities together, much to Clover’s dismay. They begin a romantic relationship together, kissing under the stars the first night they meet. Later, Julien and Crimson announce an engagement, and begin to plan a wedding Julien is not prepared for. Intimidated by the idea of marriage, Julien backs out of the wedding on the day of, after hearing he is bound to Crimson “forever”. This leaves Crimson heartbroken, and she leaves the kingdom seeking revenge. She makes a deal with Julien’s uncle, and the two set out to kill him on multiple occasions. However, during All Hail King Julien: Exiled, Crimson’s loneliness on Siren Island leads her to trap Julien and propose they get back together. He agrees out of fear of a tentacle beast in the cave of the island. However, once Ted defeats the tentacle, Julien is quick to leave the island since he understands that his kingdom is more important than his life, leaving Crimson behind. On the morning of her sister’s wedding, Crimson tries to seduce King Julien one more time, telling him she never meant to hurt him. He walks away from her, and Crimson scoffs that she will “get him eventually”.
Karen is another of Julien’s love interests, which started in school and he wanted to marry her which is revealed in Return of the Uncle King that he says to Maurice he always dreamt his wedding as a child lemur and asks about Karen at that point. However, when Julien abandoned her on prom night, she was bent on killing him. She sets up a school reunion to trick him, planning to feed him to the fossa, but fails when Karl scares them away. She is eaten by the escaping fossa for which Julien gets shocked and bids her good bye sadly taking up her gloves.
In The Wrath of Morticus Khan, KJ shows romance towards the female King Julien who comes from the dimensional doorway which Timo built. Julien tries to kiss her on the lip for a several times but fails as Maurice does not let him do so.
Although quite lazy, his constant (virtually all the time) dancing keeps him in good physical condition. Ironically, he oftentimes loses physical contests if he takes part in them (actually, if shortly, racing with Maurice and Mort, would've easily been beaten by the rats in the hockey rink if they hadn't stepped on his feet) but then sometimes shows how fit he is, such as winning Capture The Flag with his team and a limbo contest, where he was able to keep his balance throughout his body and be parallel to the ground while walking forward with his toes. It is also shown (at least in Kaboom and Kabust) that he even knows how to swim!
Although he has little (if any) combat training or experience, when motivated he is shown to arguably better than anyone. In Assault & Batteries, he was able to hold his own against Skipper and even defeat him (arguably), something that no other character has been able to do, not even the other penguins. He also defeated Eggy, something no other zoo animal could do, either. Julien is also able to use twin sticks to fight, similar to the martial art "Eskrima". Despite that he is incredibly timid and doesn't like to fight, he only does so when angry or annoyed.
King Julien is also shown to be highly durable, surviving hits and falls that should damage him greatly mainly in All Hail King Julien.
He likes to whistle. He is "pretty good" at it now, but he would like to become a professional whistler. Technically, his statement is ironical, he's a terrible whistler. It is seen in My Fair Foosa and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa.
Also, despite seeming very, very, very dumb making bad choices and misunderstanding simple phrases or words, it is occasionally proved that Julien can be quite bright. A good example is in Go Fish, where he was able to keep up with every step in Skipper's unbelievably complex plan. Another good example is in Dr. Blowhole's Revenge, where he tricks Dr. Blowhole into trusting him, while he secretly was on the right side all along (although he didn't tell the penguins that either).
In Rock a Bye Birdie he knows how the mother penguins feed their babies by chewing the fish and spits in the baby's mouth. However, he uses watermelon to feed Skipper (who got turned into a baby) instead of fish.
In All Hail King Julien, he is excellent in bringing up fabulous songs, on a specific topic. For example, such songs are;
- Kingdom You Ain't No Lady
- True Bromance (Song)
- Seeds of Peace
- What do pirates do(O Captain My Captain Pt. 2)
- A Conflict Free Life(Julien 2.0)
- Fleek Rap
- Tears from your Eyes
King Julien is to be exceptionally talented in dancing, probably the animal in Madagascar franchise who has the greatest dancing talents. He is to show his passion for dancing, mainly in AHKJ as he always parties with his kingdom. He is to have unique dance moves, compared with other characters (like Alex who have his own moves, like his ROAR.).
King Julien is to posses fabulous leadership qualities and has the ability to be a great leader. In All Hail King Julien: Exiled, he fights hardly to get his kingdom and shows the great leader that he hides underneath his eccentric and fun character. Even throughout the All Hail King Julien Netflix series, he shows great kingly characters and the ability that he posses to be a stupendous leader. To the audience's dismay, such heroic and leadership qualities are not portrayed in other TV Series or in the films of the Madagascar Franchise.
One of King Julien's best friends, his body guard and a member of King Julien's Royal Entourage. Their history is not know, whether they were friends since their childhood. But, it is to be noted that they probably met each other when they were both in their youth since they seemed to know each other well even in the beginning of the series. It is seen that King Julien gives a special place to Clover in his life and heart, cares for her, trusts her and love her. In All Hail King Julien, it is seen when King Julien and Clover engage themselves in working together, both always trying to ensure each other are safe. They have had problems, specially in the beginning, when Clover was too paranoid and was trying to restrict King Julien enjoying himself. But, as the series progressed, it could be observed that their relationship grew more stronger and inseparable as they both improved themselves along the series: Clover grew to be less paranoid, King Julien learnt to take responsibilities and reduced taking unwanted risks. Some hint of romance is painted in their relationship since their introduction inKing Me. Refer the page Julien & Clover for more information about them.
One of King Julien's best friends and the royal advisor of King Julien. Much more information about their childhood is revealed compared with King Julien and Clover's childhood. It is known that he was found in a patch of grass by King Julien when he was a young prince, near the borders of the aye-aye kingdom. According to Masikura, they become friends at the instance they saw each other. It is even found that both went to the same school. Maurice was given the duty to protect the young prince, but Maurice says in King Me that looking into Julien stopped a long time, meaning that he made it his responsibility to protect his friend. Though King Julien's uncle paid Maurice to be King Julien's friend and King Julien always blames Maurice to his faults which irritates Maurice, their friendship blossomed since their childhood and have a strong bondage and love between them, which is beyond compare, and they are inseparable. Though they had their differences - Maurice is more a voice of reason and sensitive while King Julien looks over entertainment and does what his heart ask without thinking - throughout the series, these never affected their friendship. The audience did see clashes between them frequently, but they always loved each other. For more information about King Julien and Maurice, refer Julien & Maurice.
Unlike Maurice (and probably Clover), Mort never met King Julien in his childhood but first met on his coronation day in King Me, when he fell from a tree. Probably a neutral relationship is seen between them since King Julien does care about him but always don't like him near and calls him an "imp" and other demeaning nicknames, probably because he is very annoying, irritating and tries to touch his feet. It is continously seen how he tries to remove Mort from his life.
- In That Sinking Feeling, he continouslty throws Mort into the sea, but soon gets irritated when the sea spits him back at the shore. Here, King Julien tries to get rid of him, but fail since Mort is also made of wood.
- In Night Creatures, he continuously tries to convince that Mort is the night creature, probably make Clover to destroy him.
Though he doesn't show his care to Mort much, he does care about him on the inner side. In Empty is the Head, he was probably drunken and looses his control. He hugs Mort and says that they are brothers and loves him. It is clearly seen that he doesn't hate him but is compelled to do it since he acts as an "imp", weirdo and an annoying character by touching his feet. However, all done by Mort is solely from his heart to pay gratitude for saving his life.
Not much is known about their history but it is seen that King Julien has a negative relationship with Willie and is mainly seen in the final season. Such situations are listed below:
- In Julien 2.0, King Julien says to his people that they experienced "forced labour camps", "monkeys in zeppelins", "tacky inter-species weddings" and even states "Willie" in an aggressive tone, which angers Willie. This shows that they have a negative relationship.
- In For Whom the Bell Gods Toll, King Julien, out of the blue, points out to Willie, stating that all clues point that he is the murderer, even when it is not a murder trial.
- In There Will Be Juice, King Julien asks to store the mangoes in buckets, carts and even in Willie's hut. Their negative relationship is seen.
- In The End is Near, when King Julien gave his comrades nicknames, he dubbed Willie as "Guy that No one likes."
- Because he was king back in Madagascar, he has hundreds of lemur followers who obey and admire him.
- Typically, he is served by Mort and Maurice who left Madagascar with him.
- In Operation: Neighbor Swap, the bunnies became loyal to him.
- In an interview with Tom McGrath, he stated that King Julien had several loyal citizens, most predominant of which was a Lemur named Troy.
- In the episode Right Hand Man, Clemson, the new lemur who becomes his right-hand man intends to betray him and take over as king.
- Clover, who is only featured in All Hail King Julien, is extremely loyal to her king, taking the king as a colleague and one of her best friend. This is most evident in All Hail King Julien: Exiled, as well as the following examples: Return of the Uncle King, Body Double, Election, O Captain My Captain Pt. 1,O Captain My Captain Pt. 2, and The Good Book etc.
Mort (perhaps the most loyal after the scene in King Me) and Maurice are very loyal. Even though Maurice is a extremely loyal to King Julien in All Hail King Julien, who is to be one of his best friend, these are some examples where Maurice's character change:
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted -- Maurice smiles when he thinks King Julien fell to his "death", only to find out he survived much to his dismay. However, Mort is upset.
- Gone in a Flash -- Maurice getting tired of serving him and being brought back to the zoo and King Julien admitting that he missed him.
- Mort Unbound -- Mort growing huge by an invention and being tired of being bullied and bossed around, but then letting Julien use him to get stuff from the other zoo animals. King Julien refusing to give Mort a single banana. When Mort was turned small, King Julien admitted it was his fault to prevent big Private from beating him up.
- Whispers and Coups -- King Julien secretly spies on Maurice while Maurice is sneakily going around the zoo & believes that Maurice is planning a revolution against him while Mort is still loyal.
- Thumb Drive -- Maurice continues to refuse to come back to King Julien throughout the episode & said he'd come back after a secret mission to raid a government lab stocked with weapons.
|Alex · Marty · Gloria · Melman|
|The Penguins of Madagascar|
|Skipper · Kowalski · Rico · Private|
|All Hail King Julien|
|King Julien · Maurice · Clover · Mort|